Have you ever had a dream in your heart and you try and try to do something about it and somehow it doesn’t quite come together? And then one day when you least expect it, it just kind of falls into place?
Right now that’s what I’m feeling about starting Cochrane Arts. Four weeks ago I had no idea I’d be doing this – and yet when the opportunity showed up, it was like I knew this was what I had been waiting for.
So here we are!
I’ve always believed that Cochrane has a pretty amazing arts community. I saw that 34 years ago when I first became involved in the arts community here. I find myself getting excited all over again at the amazingly creative things that are represented by the people of this town.
To give you some idea of what I have found just in the short time since starting Cochrane Arts, here are some of the people and arts I’ve met:
- A young man with some friends who are preparing to shoot a movie this next year – it sounds like an exciting project
- A woman who is an artist, illustrator, designer and more with Disney – I’m sure there are many interested tales to be told about that
- A bronze foundry that creates bronzes from tiny to monumental that are sent all over the world
- A business here in town that is looking to help people grow creatively by providing a regular venue for performance/open mike arts – singing, music, comedy, theatre, poetry, etc. By the way – this business itself is a huge story of creativity – more about that to come!
- Someone who has a ukulele to sell
- An abstract artist who has her own gallery and painting space
- A photographer who does black & white natural light photography
- An artist who paints on saw blades and other things
- A fellow calligrapher who does beautiful work
- Several authors and writers and bloggers
- An painting instructor
- And more
That’s only the tip of the iceberg – you’ll be meeting many more in the days to come.
As always, be joyfully creative!